- Research & Expeditions
- AMADEE Program
- About the OeWF
Exhibition: Austria in Space – a country takes off!
23.05.2019 - 01.09.2019, All Day
The House of Austrian History present a new exhibition on “Austria in Space” from 23. May – 01. September 2019. Part of the exhibition are items which were on the MIR space station during the mission of Austria’s only astronaut Franz Viehböck.
Fifty years ago, humans walked on the moon for the first time. Live broadcasts of the “giant leap for mankind” caused a global sensation. Austria too was caught up in the fascination with outer space. Caught in the middle of the Cold War, the country positioned itself as a neutral broker between the blocs, including when it came to the peaceful use and exploration of space.
The year 1991 was the high point of Austria’s engagement in space: the first Austrian to visit the Soviet space station Mir captured the imagination of the country. He was called Franz Viehböck but acquired the nickname “Austronaut”.
Today, Austrian science institutions and businesses make important contributions to international space research and exploration.
Details see exhibition website
Opening hours museum:
Tuesday to Sunday 10 – 6 pm
Thursday 10 – 21 pm
23.05.2019 - 01.09.2019
Haus der Geschichte Österreich
Neue Burg, Heldenplatz, Wien
Neue Burg, Heldenplatz, Wien - Wien
This article is available in: German
- 23.05.2019 - 01.09.2019: Exhibition: Austria in Space – a country takes off!
- 28.06.2019 - 30.06.2019: 4. OeWF Analog Mission Basic Training (AMBT)
- 16.07.2019 - 25.07.2019: Summer School Alpbach 2019
- 26.09.2019 - 27.09.2019: Deutsche Astrobiologie Gesellschaft - 4th annual workshop
- 04.11.2019 - 06.11.2019: European Mars Conference
- AMADEE-15 Simulation (13)
- AMADEE-18 (19)
- Aouda Spacesuit Simulator (65)
- ASE 2016 (9)
- Book tips (1)
- Comment (16)
- Events (32)
- Expeditions/Simulations (74)
- Flight projects (13)
- Guest blogs (14)
- Internships at the OeWF (43)
- OeWF News (268)
- Phileas rover (21)
- Press Releases (17)
- Research/Projects (126)
- Serenity spacesuit (3)
- World Space Week (25)