- Research & Expeditions
- AMADEE Program
- About the OeWF
Analog Astronauts Selection and Training for the Class of 2015
The Austrian Space Forum is seeking volunteers to apply for the training opportunity for analog astronauts. Analog astronauts participate in simulated Mars – Missions which are conducted on the ground in a Mars-analog environment. Men and women between the age of 25-45 are invited to submit their application.
The selection process will commence in December 2014 and will end in early 2015. The process will include a detailed medical and psychological assessment. The successful candidates will undergo a compact and intense training comprised of lectures, hands-on spacesuit and field training, they will receive coaching for physical fitness and psychological/stress tolerance. They will finish their training with a certification exam.
Analog Astronauts are trained to conduct spaceflight-simulations in Mars-like regions on Earth, testing and evaluating equipment procedures, human factors and workflows relevant to the human exploration. They conduct experiments in field campaigns in an international and interdisciplinary environment, typically lasting a few days up to one month. Analog astronauts contribute to the development of spacesuit simulators and other relevant instrumentation.
Minimum selection criteria
- European Union or Swiss citizen, aged between 25-45 years
- Body height between 165-190 cm
- Excellent mental and physical health condition
- Fluency in English (preferably with at least a second European language)
- Experience in a technological, engineering or scientific field (such as aerospace/mechanical/electrical engineering, computer science, life sciences, geosciences and others), AND/OR completed commercial or military pilot training.
- Full availability for the basic training (ca 5 weekends in early 2015, plus distance learning), mission preparation or recertification (typically 2 weekends per year) and missions (2-4 weeks of field operations every 2 years on average), as well as for media and education/outreach activities on an irregular bases.
How to apply
Applications must reach the Austrian Space Forum by no later than 28th of November 2014, 23:59 CET via email to: . Submissions should be written in English and contain the following documents:
- 1 page Cover letter, containing a photo and full contact coordinates (name, gender, nationality, address, telephone, email, birthday)
- 1 page CV
- 1 page motivation letter (“Why do you apply?”)
Selection and Training timeline
- Deadline for applicants: 28Nov2014, 23:59 CET
- 1st Selection round / 10+11Jan2015: 1st medical and psychological assessment
- 2nd Selection round / 24+25Jan2015: 2nd round medical & psychological evaluation, selection interviews
- Feb2015: Announcement of 6 Analog Astronaut candidates
- Mar-Jun2015: 5 training weekends (to be confirmed), distance learning & physical training, final exams. (Training blocks are tentatively scheduled for: 27Feb-01Mar2015, 20-22Mar2015, 17-19Apr2015, 01-03May2015, 15-17May2015)
- The selection and training will be mostly done in Innsbruck, Austria
- Costs for the selection and training will be covered by the Austrian Space Forum, except travel and accommodation expenses.
- Applicants will be required to sign a legal waiver and provide a clean criminal record before starting the second selection step. Details will be sent to candidates in time.
- Probably two of the new analog astronauts will be selected to participate in the AMADEE-15 Mars simulation in August 2015 at the Kaunertal glacier region in Austria. The others will either be selected as back-up and/or for later missions.
- Additional information about the Austrian Space Forum: www.oewf.org
- Example of a major field campaign: mars2013.oewf.org
- Questions? – please inquire at
- Are glasses/lenses a problem for the selection?
No, glasses/lenses are no problem at all?
- Will the OeWF cover travelling/accommodation costs for selection & training?
Unfortunately the OeWF cannot cover costs for travelling and accommodation. But you’ll get an excellent training and in-depth sports medicine & psychological analysis.
- I’m under 25 or over 45, is there any chance to be considered?
The age limit is strict between 25 and 45 and therefore we cannot consider application if you don’t fit the age limit.
- Do I need to live in Austria to apply as analog astronaut?
No, but you need to be able to travel to Innsbruck, Austria for the selection process and for the 5 training weekends.
- I’m not coming from an EU country, can I apply?
The call is open for all EU citizens and persons with an permanent EU work permit.
- 15.10.2020 - 15.11.2020: AMADEE-20 Mars Simulation Israel
- AMADEE-15 Simulation (13)
- AMADEE-18 (19)
- AMADEE-20 (2)
- Aouda Spacesuit Simulator (65)
- ASE 2016 (9)
- Book tips (1)
- Events (32)
- Expeditions/Simulations (75)
- Flight projects (13)
- Guest blogs (14)
- Internships at the OeWF (43)
- OeWF News (280)
- Phileas rover (21)
- Press Releases (21)
- Research/Projects (127)
- Serenity spacesuit (3)
- World Space Week (25)