- Research & Expeditions
- AMADEE Program
- About the OeWF
If the CPU is the brain, what’s the Heart? A Backplane or Motherboard. They “pump” data and energy through the whole system until the last small trace and provides all needed resources. It enabled the connection between components and ensures a reliable and uninterrupted transmission of data and energy.
To realize this Backplane many agreements, have to be made. This includes discussions about the required signal lines and standards, design of the maximum current levels and also about the size and dimension of the board. Furthermore, it must be ensured that all remaining systems are electrically and mechanically compatible. Even a wrong pin can lead to a short circuit and thus to a malfunction until the destruction of the electronics in the worst case. To avoid this, conscientious and clean work but also the common troubleshooting from the first step is inevitable.
After months of work, the moment when finished boards arrive in the lab and undergo initial tests is particularly pleasing. After only a few minutes it is clear that everything works as expected. This is to my great joy the case and an elemental system of Serenity is now ready for use.
Serenity is the second-generation spacesuit simulator of the OeWF, which is currently develped in Innsbruck. The main difference to the Aouda spacesuit simulators is the planned rear-entry of the Serenity spacesuit simulator.
Author: Thomas Fleischmann, Serenity Electronics Team
This article is available in: German
- 23.05.2019 - 01.09.2019: Exhibition: Austria in Space – a country takes off!
- 28.06.2019 - 30.06.2019: 4. OeWF Analog Mission Basic Training (AMBT)
- 16.07.2019 - 25.07.2019: Summer School Alpbach 2019
- 26.09.2019 - 27.09.2019: Deutsche Astrobiologie Gesellschaft - 4th annual workshop
- 04.11.2019 - 06.11.2019: European Mars Conference
- AMADEE-15 Simulation (13)
- AMADEE-18 (19)
- Aouda Spacesuit Simulator (65)
- ASE 2016 (9)
- Book tips (1)
- Comment (16)
- Events (32)
- Expeditions/Simulations (74)
- Flight projects (13)
- Guest blogs (14)
- Internships at the OeWF (43)
- OeWF News (268)
- Phileas rover (21)
- Press Releases (17)
- Research/Projects (126)
- Serenity spacesuit (3)
- World Space Week (25)